Saturday, June 13, 2009

salchicha de sangre

scott and i went out to lunch at a place close to us we really like for bread, pastries and empanadas but we had never tried their lunch special before...

so we go to order and scott's like, what are "priƩtas"? (spelling is definitely wrong there).
the response included something like "relleno de sangre" (filled with blood). immediately, i think, no thanks. i'll have the mashed potatoes, please. scott's like, "i'll take it."

turned out it was blood sausage. if i had eaten it i'm sure i wouldn't have iron problems for weeks.

ironically i had some this past weekend in mendoza, ar because it came in our parrilla (aka bbq meat festival- pronounced "par-eeja" in argentina) and it was quite good, much better than the grilled intestines. yum!

anyway, as we were dining over pig and cow insides (come on, you gotta experience life, i suppose) i told an argentine guy we had made friends with that i used to be pretty much vegetarian for quite a while and his outward, stereotypically argentine response was... sounds pretty boring.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Blood sausage! Intestines!

You guys are really doing a good job ad advertising for visitors :)

barb said...

okay, yesterday I saw my comment to this page didn't get posted so now that I have signed on I might get on the board.
Good for Scott. Tom is more adventuroso with food than me. I would have gone with the potatoes. The closest I have ever come to intestines, was watching the panamanian women washing them out in the river.

AmyMihyang said...

i had to convince my argentine students that vegetarians did not mean ''poor people.''

swpsox said...

vegetarians = poor people! hahaha. I have to say that it's interesting to see what people will come up with as they're trying to fit 'odd' behavior into the social and cultural model that they're comfortable with. My current favorite is the assumption that gringos drink water because it is there secret source of energy. Everyone down here drinks juices and sodas. It's the gringos with the weird looking water bottles everywhere they go. Must be the water that these foreigners drink!