Caitlin and I signed up for international health insurance plans that will help you if you are involved in a horrendous accident or encounter something like appendicitis. These plans are affordable and high quality, but they don't cover the small maintenance-like things that you'd use insurance for in the states.
After skiing with Brian, we stopped in at a Cruz Verde(think RiteAid) and I asked about the price of an inhaler. I was inquiring because my secret plan t
Finally, I asked my boss about the cost of eyeglasses here. I have an old pair of frames that has taken a beating and will need to be replaced before they break. Hoping to delay that until getting back to the states, I was encouraged to look around after the inhaler incident. He told me that while you would probably pay about $200 for frames and a dr. visit(without insurance) that I should consider going to a store down the street that made copies. Made copies??? of my glasses?? Apparently, for $70 they'll take a look at what you've got and then duplicate the lenses for whatever frame you'd like to buy. Designer frames for $30 dollars or the knockoffs at the market for $5. Whatever you want.
I don't know about you guys, but these stories make me think more about solving the issue of medical cost through ingenuity and the market than whatever system we have right now in the states. When you think about it, why does an inhaler cost $50-100? Why should glasses cost that much....why can't you get them duplicated? Who wouldn't want an extra pair of specs?
I'm not saying it's perfect here. But man oh man, that seems like capitalism.
Point for Chile
No comments:
Post a Comment